Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast
Search  Recent News  Archives  Web   for    
Entertainment
  •  Columnists
  •  Books
  •  Celebrities
  •  Comics
  •  Events
  •  Horoscopes
  •  Movies
  •  Music
  •  Restaurants
  •  Stage
  •  Television
  •  Visitors Guide


LISTINGS


 •Art
 •Clubs
 •Dining
 •Events
 •Movies
 •Music
 •Stage
 •TV


7-DAY ARCHIVE


 •Monday
 •Tuesday
 •Wednesday
 •Thursday
 •Friday
 •Saturday
 •Sunday

winstuff!
Win free movie passes and more

Online event tickets ! Buy | Sell powered by



Back to Home > 

The Ross Who Knew Too Much






Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Five things I quite enjoy right now

-- "Fishing for a Dream," Turin Brakes (single, Astralwerks): "Let's go fishing for a dream, let's find someplace new/Somewhere we can be ourselves, some of the time/Lose your heart, I'll lose my mind/We'll make quite a pair, dazzling all the time." (I especially love when Olly Knights almost -- almost -- can't hit the note on the word "pair." The track that follows it on the new album, "Jackinabox," is pretty excellent, too.)

-- "Mucky Fingers," Oasis (album track from "Don't Believe the Truth"): The Velvet Underground's "Waiting for the Man" with some Dylan-esque harmonica on top. Unlike anything Oasis has done in the past and easily the best track on the new disc.

-- "Strip Search" (reality show, VH1): "I don't want to argue with you, I want to dance!"

-- "Forever Lost," the Magic Numbers (single, Heavenly Records): Happy song, sad lyrics -- a marriage made in heaven. This song -- along with citrus squeeze candles from Target and a string of lime-green lollypop lights -- will forever remind me of June 2005.

-- "Magnificent Romeo," Basement Jaxx (bonus track from "The Singles: Special Edition" import, XL): This Basement Jaxx vs. the Clash mash-up dates back to the summer of 2002, yet remains dear to my heart. I picked up this pricey import solely so I could (legally) own this track.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carson said...

The DJ's that created Magnificant Romeo go by two different names, Soulwax and Too Many DJ's. They do all sorts of crazy mixes.

I have a cd of theirs entitled "As Heard on Radio Soulwax, Pt. 1". It is just wonderful. And they have tons of CDs like this. You can find it listed on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000869V6/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-0241349-6379258?v=glance&s=music&st=*

They have a track on the disk where they mix Michael Jacksons "Billie Jean" into The Beach Boys "God Only Knows (A Capella)". You would never ever believe these songs would work together at the same time, but it is really quite wonderful.

Check it out.

10:02 AM  
Blogger jamesp said...

Great pick of Mucky Fingers. Glad to see at there is at least one American critic who can see past the attitude of the Brothers Gallagher(even though that is part of the reason I like them:).

12:30 PM  
Blogger rraihala said...

Carson: Yeah, actually, I don't own any of the offical 2 Many DJs discs, but I've heard most of their mixes. They did a brilliant mash-up of the Stooges' "No Fun" and Salt 'N Pepa's "Push It." Good stuff.

James: A lot of my friends accuse me of being an Oasis apologist. I actually quite liked "Heathen Chemistry" and even, sort of, "Standing on the Shoulder of Giants." The only Oasis disc I really can't stand is the coke-fueled "Be Here Now." Also, if you haven't picked it up yet, I highly recommend the DVD version of "Definately Maybe" -- it's filled with all sorts of top-shelf extras.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

Ross-
"They did a brilliant mash-up of the Stooges' "No Fun" and Salt 'N Pepa's "Push It." Good stuff."

That is actually the first track on the disc I own. I completely agree, it is a great track. What blows me away about most of their stuff is how they can really jump from genre to genre.

They have even mixed "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child into "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. And it works. I sometimes wonder what they were smoking when they came up with that crazy idea.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home