Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast
Search  Recent News  Archives  Web   for    
Entertainment
  •  Columnists
  •  Books
  •  Celebrities
  •  Comics
  •  Events
  •  Horoscopes
  •  Movies
  •  Music
  •  Restaurants
  •  Stage
  •  Television
  •  Visitors Guide


LISTINGS


 •Art
 •Clubs
 •Dining
 •Events
 •Movies
 •Music
 •Stage
 •TV


7-DAY ARCHIVE


 •Monday
 •Tuesday
 •Wednesday
 •Thursday
 •Friday
 •Saturday
 •Sunday

winstuff!
Win free movie passes and more

Online event tickets ! Buy | Sell powered by



Back to Home > 

The Ross Who Knew Too Much






Saturday, March 19, 2005

More stuff from Friday's Spin party (and beyond)

-- Everyone's favorite Twin Cities band that doesn't live in the Twin Cities may well have been the hardest working band at SXSW, opening the Spin show, playing at least three (I think!) other gigs and even busking outside of Iron Works. Possibly!

-- As I mentioned last night, the New York Dolls were my own most anticipated show of SXSW. And they didn't disappoint as they ripped through all the expected classics, including my personal favorite "Trash." It's not too much of a stretch to say the Dolls influenced -- either directly or indirectly -- at least 90 percent of the guitar-based bands playing SXSW. For example, look at Louis XIV, who appeared earlier on the very same bill. It doesn't take more than a few degrees of separation to trace their whole glam/punk/sex thing back to the Dolls now does it. No, it does not.

-- The New York Dolls reunited last summer at the behest of this longtime fan who released a live album of the Dolls' reunion show on his own Attack Records label. Bass player Arthur "Killer" Kane died of complications from undiagnosed leukemia a few weeks later, leaving frontman David Johansen and guitarist Syl Sylvain the only living Dolls left on this planet. That fact, more than anything else, was why I needed to see the New York Dolls. Because when the next one dies, they'll have to change the name to New York Doll. (And, oh yes, Johansen has not weathered particularly well. He may want to consider adopting a new stage name, "Boney Curtis." Still, his voice was in better shape than it was on the live CD and it helped if you stood back from the stage, or stared at the sun.)

-- Speaking of reunited bands, I ran into my old Seattle pal Hannah Levin, who had the good fortune to catch the Slint show earlier this month in her hometown. "Incredible" was one of the many glowing words she used to describe the gig. No Twin Cities date as of yet, but the Kentucky alt-rock cult heroes play three dates in Chicago starting Thursday.

-- OK, one more bit of reunion news. Over dinner, I found out that Rykodisc has just reissued the entire Starz catalog! I need to get me these as soon as I get back home!

-- The Queens of the Stone Age did, indeed, play that Entertainment Weekly party Thursday night, concentrating largely on their new CD "Lullabies to Paralyze" and their 1998 debut. Band leader Josh Homme has also been working out as his pipes are now fearsomely ripped. No word yet if the lyrics to "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" will now be appended to include "creatine."

-- After the Spin show, I accidentally ended up seeing Michelle Shocked! A bunch of Minnesota SXSWesters had planned an informal, conversating-type happy hour at this place, which as it turns out had live music. Anyway, I saw a bunch of locals including Dan Israel, who played a SXSW show later that night (and has another on tap for this afternoon), Anna Lee, Vamp Music Source's Kate Galloway (who is keeping her own SXSW blog here) and a bunch of other people. Later in the evening, I ran into First Avenue's booker Sonia Grover outside of a Matador Records showcase, where I caught the drone-y and promising band the Double and indie-stoner-rockers Dead Meadow, leaving long before Stephen Malkmus took the stage. I may be the only rock writer in the world to admit this, but I really hated Pavement.

20 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

We are trying to find good new movie release to take the kids this weekend. Good new movie release reviews are hard to find

I just stumbled onto your blog while looking. Seems to happen to me a lot since I am a knowledge mooch LOL

Thanks

11:26 PM  
Blogger WorldTrader said...

Great Blog, check out this business. This is the Goose that lays you Golden Eggs! work at home business opportunity make money online
Submit your Articles and get lot of backlinks: http://articles.for-your-website.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10:24 AM  
Blogger blogger1272 said...

Bloggs are such a wonderful way to plublish ones thoughts. Thanks for letting me visit and leave a comment. Adult Sex Toys

1:29 AM  
Blogger credit cards now said...

wanna hook up later Chris? meet me on that online personals dating site site .. here >> online personals dating site

3:32 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Tell your Secret

2:07 PM  
Blogger stony said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a single site site/blog. It pretty much covers single site related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Natwho said...

Catalog business

For 23 years we have been the number one business opportunity for individuals wanting to gain financial freedom and realize the American dream of owning their own business.

NWC, Inc can get you started in a name brand electronics business of your own, without the usual large upfront investment associated with starting a business. We supply everything you need including full color catalogs that can be customized with your name and address, a fully stocked Ecommerce powered web site, 61,000 name brand products that can be drop shipped right to your customers door, large unsecured credit lines to help finance your customers, and much more.

Check out all the exciting details at www.profitbig.com today.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Editor Choice said...

Excellent and original blog. I will comeback.
Here an interesting site regarding: Chicago travel: Best prices at Chicago travel, best in travel industry in Chicago have great deals in travel industry on hotels, flights, Chicago tours, Concerts, Sports Tickets, Restaurants, sight seeing in Chicago and much more. Has an impressive guide on Chicago Travel Information, for your visit to Chicago, to provide useful travel information, hints and tips.

4:15 PM  
Blogger bulldog1256 said...

Been following your blog.
Looks pretty good, keep up the good work.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Work From Home Center said...

Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. Keep up the great work! I also have a site & blog about work at home online
, please feel free to visit.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Iravan said...

I would argue that Exit Traffic is actually one of the best forms of traffic generation. I am going to book mark this blog, nice topics discussed

By the way... I have a houston traffic cam site. It pretty much covers Traffic related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:59 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Every once in a while I stumble upon very interesting blogs like yours.

My partner and I have a weather content web site site which is all about weather content web site.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Gordon said...

Just visited your blog, it's great. I have a jobs seeking website which is informative and you can find info of different job natures, hope that it will be useful in your job seeking

6:48 AM  
Blogger Shoppingonline said...

Hey, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a online shopping made easy site. It pretty much covers online shopping made easyrelated stuff.

Come and have a look if you get time :-)

10:34 AM  
Blogger usa said...

Great Blog! Ilike it.I have Free dating site for singlesTake a look if you have a minute. Thanks and have a good one!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Want more clicks to your Adsense Ads on your Blog?

Then you have to check out my blog. I have found a FREE and Legitimate way that will increase your earnings.

Come Check us out. How to Boost Your AdSense Revenue

11:35 PM  
Blogger allfreei said...

I like the page you have here. Check mine out beauty gesundheit product

8:07 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about seo help You should check it out sometime.

5:40 PM  
Blogger KaptainMoney said...

I like searching classiffied
blogs. They're generally so helpful
like this one. I'll be back soon. My
website is about classiffied
Stop in if you like.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about direct email marketing software You should check it out sometime.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home